Gig Economy in Asia: Gig Roles in Asia and Advantages of using Gig Workers
“Gig economy” is a term that became popular around 2008, but is it another hype in business that will not survive the test of time or a new way that has come to stay with humans for life? Well, the answer is obvious in the way it has taken the business world by storm and how all companies are fast becoming subscribers to this new, stress-free, effective, and cost saving way of doing business.
It is not only in Asia, all parts of the world have optimized the ever increasing ability of technology and internet to save time as well as cost, in business. Today, in Asia, many companies hire freelancers online to take up certain roles, and the profits such decision has turned are almost countless.
Dean Stallard, managing director of Hays, Hong Kong said “we have seen the market develop, becoming more sophisticated.”
Hays, a recruiting company has revealed that in Asia, 56% of recruiters are opting for a recruitment type that is more flexible, and three quarters are opting to hire contractors on a temporary basis, getting this done through a recruitment agency.
In Hays’ Asia Salary Guide 2017, the company revealed that job candidates are gradually having a change in attitudes towards the gig economy. Gig economy is gaining legitimacy across many departments but the legitimacy is more obvious in project management, IT, and accounting.
The development gives companies a flexible workforce.
The gig economy can encompass a number of services. It includes consultancy services, outsourced operations, and hiring freelancers for other petty duties.
GIG ROLES IN ASIA: PETTY DUTIES ALONE?
Temporary or contractual work is becoming bigger with each passing second. So far this year, there have been many job opportunities for gig workers in finance, project management, and other big departments of companies, which directly debunk the misconstrued notion that temporary works are suited for only duties that generally require low skill or experience levels.
One thing is sure. The demand for finance -and by extension, IT, regulatory, and accounting jobs, will keep on increasing, and that has its way of directly, and positively affecting the gig economy, making jobs available to more gig workers.
Many professional roles can be taken up by gig workers. They include Digital/Online marketing, Freelance writing, Photography, Deep learning/artificial intelligence development, Robotics Engineering, Virtual and augmented reality development, Business Administrative duties, Events staffing, etc. With the prospect the gig economy currently displays, it can be predicted that there would be continuous addition of more fields to the already big economy.
USING GIG WORKERS: WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES?
First, it should be known that the company losses nothing by using gig workers, except their physical presence (in some cases). In this current world of technology, you can conduct interviews online, communicate with both audio and video using some apps, give jobs, get delivery, and make payment, all online. The first advantage promised is that time would be saved. However, it does not stop at that. There are other advantages that could be found below.
- Gig workers are generally more dedicated to work than the full-time workers who work with the confidence they have 100% job security. Gig workers understand that they might be stopped at any moment, so they always want to give their best to see how long they can secure the job.
- You get better talent every time you go out to search for new workers. You might think your worker is the best, but there are definitely more people out there willing to offer you more, and you can always find them in the gig industry.
- You can easily change workers without having to pay release fees, and there is no guilt whatsoever because all gig workers know right from the first day it is a temporary work.
- You indirectly reduce the unemployment rate in the society by hiring different people for different duties, at different times.
- You get nothing but specialists. Neither location nor time zone can be a barrier now. For example, you need to teach people how to make an Italian dish, regardless of the country you are, you can go online to hire a native Italian writer to put down the recipe for you.
The gig economy will continue improving, and just as the testimonies are flying all around, companies that choose to make the most of it will have a lot of good stories to tell.